Factual Information about the District Water


Roanoke Rapids Lake

Roanoke Rapids River

Water Treatment Capability

12.5 million gallons per day (MGD)

Wastewater Treatment Capability

8.34 MGD

Metered Connections

8,500 +

Average Daily Usage

5.0 MGD


ranges from 50 to 115 psi

Administration Office Location

1000 Jackson Street (Corner of 10th & Jackson Streets)

Water Plant Location

21 Vepco Street (across from paper mill)

Wastewater Plant Location

135 Aqueduct Road (off Weldon Road)

Distribution & Collection Systems Office

425 East 11th Street




During business hours: Call 537-9137

Night, weekend or holidays: Call Water Treatment Plant at 537-3319 


Helpful Information


Most meters are equipped with a leak detector, which is located on the face of the meter dial and is in the shape of a triangle. If this triangle is turning, water is going through the meter. If the water valve inside the house is cut off and the triangle continues to turn, there is an underground leak. Food coloring placed in the tank of a commode will help determine if there is a toilet leak. Food coloring will show up in the bowl of the toilet after a few minutes indicating a fixture leak. 

House Valves (cut off valves)

Cut off valves, located either inside or outside the home should be tested annually. Hundred of calls are received during harsh winters to cut off meters for homes with broken service lines. The District will perform this service free of charge one time a year. District personnel can not be depended on to respond promptly with this volume of calls. Always know where your cut off valve is located and keep your cut off valve in good working order. A $30.00 service charge may be added to your bill as this service is repeated during a year. 

Discolored Water

Any increase or change in flow velocity within a water main may cause discolored water. Fires, street sweepers, etc. are examples. Should you experience discolored water, let the cold water run for a few minutes. After a period of time, if discoloration continues, call the emergency number and personnel will flush hydrants to correct the problem. Do not wash clothes during this time. 

Sewage Blockages

The majority of sewage blockages are caused by the improper disposal of Fat, Oil and Grease into the public sewers. Many sewage blockages can be avoided by simply disposing Fat, Oil and Grease products into empty cans, which in turn would be discarded with the household garbage. Should you experience a sewage blockage or a sewer backup: Call the emergency number first. District personnel will check the main sewer line and inform the customer if a plumber should be called. The District only maintains main lines. The customer must maintain service lines. Service lines include the entire length of service line from the house to the connection to the main line in the street or the alley.

Telephone Numbers (252 area code)

Business Office – 537-9137

Water Treatment Plant – 537-3319

Wastewater Treatment Plant – 536-4884

Distribution & Collection System – 537-9747

Administrative Office Fax – 537-3064


Common Questions

What are the procedure for handling complaints?

The Sanitary District recognizes that all complaints are worthy of respect and must be handled professionally and expediently. Any complaint resulting from an excessive water bill will, upon request of the customer, be handled by having the meter reading verified. All other complaints are logged in an appropriate work order form and furnished to the responsible department for follow-up. The customer is asked to call back within 24 hours, if necessary, to resolve the issue.  There is a charge of $20.00 to re-read meters if they are found to be correct.

Why is the sewer charge higher than the water charge on my bill?

The Sanitary District does not meter your sewer. Our meters only register the water that you use. A percentage of your total bill is divided into water and sewer charges. The costs of maintaining the Waste Water Treatment Plant are higher than those of the Water Treatment Plant, therefore the amount on your bill is higher for sewer. This doesn’t mean that you used more sewer than water. Any bill that has the same 1,000 gallons usage as yours, will show the same amounts by water and sewer as yours does.

How do I go about getting my water cut on?

You will need to come to the Sanitary District office at 1000 Jackson Street. You will need to know the correct service address where the water is to be cut on and a correct mailing address for the monthly bill. You will need to show your Drivers License or a Picture ID, your Social Security Card, and a copy of your lease (if you rent). There is a $100 deposit for residential customers and $150 for most commercial customers.  This deposit has to be paid before the services can be cut on. Your signature is required and your deposit paid before the services can be cut on. Your signature is required on the application assuring that  you will check all the faucets to make sure they are off. The Sanitary District will not be responsible for leaks, etc. Our meters are located outside of the dwelling and our employees do not go inside the residence. You may receive same day service if your application is completed by 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday.

If I fill my swimming pool from my outside spigot can I get some kind of discount on my water bill?

No discount is given on the water amount that has gone through your meter. There can be an adjustment made on your sewer amount. This only applies if the pool holds 10,000 gallons or more, and can only be given once a year.

Can I keep the water on at my present address and get it cut on at another?

Yes, you can, but you will need to come to the office and put up a new meter deposit. There is a separate deposit on each meter that is in your name. When you are through with the water service at your old address, the old deposit will be refunded to you or applied on your final bill. The new deposit stays up on the new address.

If you want to transfer your services, we will turn your services on at the new address and in five days we will cut off the meter at your old address and move it to your new address in the same day. In this case you would need to come to the Sanitary District office and pay a transfer fee of $25.00 plus any balance on the old account. Your drivers Drivers License or a Picture ID and your Social Security Card number and a copy of your lease (if you rent) are required in order to do a transfer.

How can I tell if I have a water leak?

Most of our meters have a leak indicator on them. Do not run any water inside your house. Go look at your meter – if the leak indicator (little black or red dial or triangle) is turning any at all, you may have a leak.

Can I get a credit on my sewer for watering grass and flowers?

No, however you can get a sprinkler tap and meter and we will charge your water only on that meter. The cost of the sprinkler tap and meter is $565.00.

Can I use a credit card to pay my bill?

Yes, we do offer this service. We accept Visa & Master Card, cash, money orders, checks, debit cards, and bank drafts.

What do I need to do to start a bank draft?

Come into the main office at 1000 Jackson Street, Roanoke Rapids, NC 27870 with a voided blank check for the account you would like drafted and sign a bank draft card giving us permission to draft your account for your bill.